Thursday, November 16, 2006

Nov 16th - More Steel

It's warmed up to 50 degrees today and time to tackle more roofing. I've moved 6 24' sheets to the edge of my trailer and started the gas powered cut off saw to cut through the stack. They need to be cut twice as the sheets are a bit too long. Pat and R.D. are once again on the roof completing the fascia on the south edge of the roof. They have managed to complete about 1/2 of the south side with steel including installing a roof jack for the main plumbing vent. The steel is not only heavy in weight, but in gauge, making it difficult and time consuming to cut. I have an old circular saw that was on its last leg and we've used it for cutting steel with a carbide metal blade. It's finally bit the big one. I toss it into the dumpster and hence the cut off saw. The stacks of metal also have to be drilled and my cordless Dewalt drill bites it too. Must be something in the stars.

Greenbay and Bill are inside and have nearly completed the framing and layout for the floor system on the 3rd floor. Tomorrow we should be ready for warm board inside. Hopefully we will get some insulated panels up tomorrow as well.

This afternoon, I've decided to work on beginning the installation of the same steel panels that will protect the lower part of the house around the foundation. Here in snow country, the snow sliding off the roof can pile high on the north side of the house. I remember spending my first night in the cabin back in 1994 on Memorial Day. There was still snow drifted to the roof at the end of May. The existing cabin has no windows on the north side, but both of the old cabins we have reconstructed have one north window. If I don't get the metal in now along the base of the cabins, it will be spring before I can attempt it. The 2 north windows will require shutters that will help keep the snow out and protect the windows from snow sliding off the roof.

No comments: