Sunday, August 13, 2006

Aug 12th - More Supplies + Milestone Day

Up early this morning and we have to drive to Cortez for groceries, hardware, a bit of lumber and a visit to Belt Salvage for some used metal for my outer steel landings which will hang over the patio.

Belt Salvage is a pretty neat place for guys to visit; every kind of junky metal thing you can think of and I find the perfect lengths of 4 x 10” I-beams to use for building my stair landings located on the south side of the garage. Within a few weeks we will be installing them before the 2nd floor goes up.

Belt sees my Power Wagon hat and when I tell him my company, Vintage Power Wagons (www.vintagepowerwagons.com), supplies Power Wagon parts, he asks for a card and tells me that he sometimes gets people asking for parts. In pulling one of the I-beams from the pile, a boom truck is required and the Belt employee comes driving up with a bizarre looking vehicle that was actually a Power Wagon at one time. All that remains are a portion of the cab and hood, the front ½ of the frame, transmission and gas tank. Its quite a work horse, now 2WD with a Chevrolet engine and winch mounted about midway.

Belt has good deals on all kinds of used steel. I walk out with 18’ of I-beams for less than $60. What a deal, especially with the price of steel these days. You gotta like their business card with a picture of a vulture with the words…”We’re just waiting to do business with you.”

Lynn is off shopping for our weekly groceries and kitchen accessories. After a visit to the lumber yard/hardware store, we head back to Rico. It’s raining hard when we arrive home (can't remember a day without rain in recent history anyway).

I install more shelf brackets and a new outlet in our apt. kitchen - and that completes the organizing work here. I go over to the cabin and install the first piece of lumber on the new addition; a 2x10 and part of the stair landing between the existing cabin and the main level of the house. It’s a milestone for sure!!!


technorati tags:, , , ,

No comments: