Tuesday, August 22, 2006

August 19th - The Salvage Hunt for Junk......



I’ve gone 10 minutes from the hotel to pick up the Power Wagon. I bought this truck a month ago from photos the owner sent me. Boyd, who owns Toby's Truck City, has the truck running when I arrive - amazing for not having been started in years. It really runs well.

He introduces me to his neighbor, Pete Allen, who is the caretaker for Al Unser (of Indy 500 fame). The street out front (Unser Boulevard) is named after him. Pete shows me a number of old vehicles including one heavy duty 3 ton Dodge. I have only seen this type of truck twice and the truck is priced right. I’m tempted to buy it, but what it costs these days to ship things from New Mexico to Iowa is staggering. I will have to wait to see what else I might put with it to complete a full semi-load.

Unser’s yard is full of old European cars from the 60’s like Vauxhalls, English Fords, Goliaths, Peugots. The really good stuff like Alpha Romeos, MGs, and Triumphs were shipped to England about 15 years ago. Lots of old cars and all going to the crusher in the next few months.

Back at Boyd’s place, I drive the old Dodge Power Wagon out of the lot and up onto my trailer. It’s a beauty; a 1948 model and very complete and original condition, which is unusual these days. Down here in New Mexico, nothing rusts like it does in the Midwest. This truck is also unusual in that it is a civilian model that was issued to the military U.S. Army. Old stenciling on the door shows it was sent to Fort Sam Houston Texas back in the 1950’s.

Back inside the lot, he takes me on the yard tour. This is one of my favorite things about my business… looking for old parts. I find several sets of fenders and grills as well as some extra doors. He has one old govt. Dodge pickup from the early 60's and with a boom truck and torch we manage to remove the cab and pickup box and soon it's loaded on the tail-end of the trailer behind the Power Wagon. We continue to fill the load by piling all the truck sheet metal parts into the bed of the old Power Wagon as well as the old cab. Within the last few minutes I’ve managed to come up with a set of old WWII special combat rims for a WWII Dodge command car we have at home in Iowa. These have been difficult to find in the last few years and these particular rims are in good condition.

Once loaded it takes me an hour or so to tie down and secure everything for the long journey back to Rico. Later we drive across town to a great restaurant we ate at 4 years ago on old Route 66. The place is called the Flying Star and we recommend it when you visit Albuquerque. The food is fabulous & the pastries are even more so.

After dinner it's on to Home Depot for a shopping spree of plumbing parts I will need in Rico. What a fun day (especially for Lynn & Max) after a long day loading the truck.


No comments: