Monday, August 28, 2006

August 26th - Major Storm Moves In

We had a helluva thunderstorm that started at 1:30 AM this morning and lasted for 4 hours. Sun shining this morning, but more rain coming and throughout the day it alternates sunshine and then pours rain at least 6 times.

Greenbay came by to see about working and we decided to wait as the rain didn’t look like it would stay away for long. He has been kind enough to offer to let me use any of his tools any time I might need them. Without a doubt, he has one of the best and most complete sets of tools I have ever seen and it matches his expertise.

Greenbay lives up the hill on the road up to the old mining mill and he offers to take me up there and show it to me. What a cool place as much of the old equipment is still in place. The buildings are slowly deteriorating and many have fallen into the hands of salvagers who have helped themselves. Two mine shafts with old sets of mine car rails are open on either side of Silver Creek. Itss an interesting area and a nice break, but I have work to do.

I do my best to work around the weather and by afternoon I have completed spraying the Bora-Care on all surfaces of the cabin. I surely hope the stuff works. I have laid out the east wall of the cabin and come as close as I can to figuring the height of the cabin. We will probably delete the lower row of logs on the cabin as it seems to have plenty of height without them to take us up to the 2nd floor. Just as well as the lower course of logs is partially rotten and would need replacing. The logs can’t get wet, otherwise the BoraCare loses its strength, so it’s a major job keeping everything covered with tarps especially when the wind comes up.

This morning during the rain, I worked at the old cabin and I managed to get another oak 8”x8” post cut. This one was a special cut as I had to rip one corner out of the post with the beam saw so it will wrap the outside corner of the concrete wall in the dining area. In between rain storms I also measured up and cut holes in the floor for my rough-in plumbing on the first floor .

Altogether we got at least 4” of rain today. Amazing the sun would come out for 20 minutes and then cloud up and pour again.

I had a nice surprise for Lynn today after going down to retrieve my hat that I left at the hotel last night during our great dinner. It was mid-afternoon and no one in the restaurant and I had a chance to visit with Lynda, the owner. I mentioned how tight our space was at the place we rent. She offered to show me the apartment they have on the 3rd floor. What a gorgeous place and very private. She offered to give it to us for what we are currently paying for rent. What a deal!, except that we can’t have it until Oct. 8, when the Hotel closes for the season.

Lynn was excited too, but wishes it was sooner. We will take it and this means we have only 5 more weeks to stick it out in our little place. Our landlord, Cody, has been great, but our place is just too small for us. (If you think you have a small house try living in a 1 room apt. 12’ x 15’ including kitchen, living area, bedroom and bath! It’s been challenging and we are forced to stay very organized and give each other space when we need it.)

I also inquired about some old photos in the restaurant I saw last night. I mentioned my large collection of original William Henry Jackson photographs and we both decide it would be a good idea to feature some of these photos in the restaurant. I will have to wait until I get back to Iowa to pull some together for framing.

Tonight we lost the power in our area of town for about an hour. It went out when Lynn was still fixing dinner and we ended up lighting our little gas grill on the front porch, so she could finish cooking. Also Lynn was in the middle of reloading Norton AntiVirus on her computer which can take hours. I ran down to the convenience store and bought candles. After getting them lit, the power came back on.

We played a game of Scrabble tonight and I got whipped. Lynn’s score was over 300.


technorati tags:, , ,

No comments: