Tuesday, August 22, 2006

August 18th - Travel Day

I’ve gone over to the cabin this morning and made a large list of plumbing fittings and pipe I will need for plumbing the drain lines on the lower levels. Also I have been measuring for steel I will need for the cantilevered steel landings on the south side of the patio.

Greenbay is finishing the warm board installation. We have a lumber delivery coming today for framing the first floor walls. My neighbor, Dean is coming to dig the hole for installing the large conduit for electric service to the house. Fabian and Dylan will install the conduit and French drain.

Double D has gone to down to my lumber yard to pick up more of the used pink foam insulation for insulating the foundation walls. Dylan and Fabian are backfilling the huge holes around the foundation.

We’ve left early for a long drive to Albuquerque. I have some more iron to pick up from Belt Salvage in Cortez…I love that place. We make a return to the office supply and then head for Durango. A stop at Log Finisher's Supply is a good education for me on products for log repair and finishing. I have to pick up some wood epoxy for doing repair to some of the old cabin logs and they have just what I need.

We are having to go out of our way with a stop in Pagosa Springs to return concrete forms I had delivered about 6 weeks ago. My concrete contractor said it would cost more for him to use them. These are the type that you form with foam forms and leave the forms in place which are great for good insulation. But, since I already had the extra foam board insulation, I chose to pay a small restocking charge and return the forms. I have enough remaining foam forms from 10 years ago that have been stored in the cabin that we will use up for forming the remaining garage foundation wall that we will frame next week.

After some trouble finding his storage yard, Lynn and I unload the plastic form ties and bundles of foam forms. Now we're off to New Mexico and some beautiful country to see across the continental divide. The crossing is not much more than a rise in the road down in New Mexico, unlike Colorado’s much higher continental divide crossings. Down through Chama and into Santa Fe. After a stop in Santa Fe at Wild Oats Market for dinner, we then have another hour drive to Albuquerque. While sitting outside eating dinner, we spotted the fattest rainbow we've ever seen. And also one of the most gorgeous sunsets we've experienced in some time.

With about 11 1/2 hours on the road today, it's been a very long day.


technorati tags:, ,

No comments: