Saturday, October 14, 2006

Oct 11th - Good Weather Welcome




Finally, a day without some precipitation and we take full advantage of it. Brian, from Colorado Fasteners, has stopped by with my order for 2 new fiberglass ladders; these are the heavy duty ones and I pick out a 24’ extension and 10’ step ladder. Pat can’t resist the temptation of the tool house on wheels and decides to purchase a new Hitachi nail gun…Greenbay and I are both jealous of this most coveted new tool and we discuss that getting a new tool is even better than sex….well at least sometimes… Greenbay’s new framing hammer is also on the truck as well as my nailgun which has just been repaired. I’ve also picked up an extra 100’ hose as the higher the house goes the more line we need. I’ve spent part of the morning doing some much needed repair work and have changed numerous tool and extension cord ends, which was long overdue.
We’ve installed the last remaining portion of the mid-span beam over the sunroom and it feels great we are actually closing in on getting a roof on the structure. Greenbay has studied the plan and made a new lumber list and I’ve ordered the material for delivery tomorrow or Friday. The new lumber package will be enough to frame the entire master bedroom, which we will be starting soon. Pat has helped me attach the final sheets of warmboard on the master bedroom floor as well as laying out the lines for the exterior walls. We are ready to frame the 3rd level. Looking out where the east French doors will face up the mountain, I see Hart’s Peak which is named after Hartley Lee, my grandfather’s older brother. Greenbay is tackling the job of the two west facing gable windows and the problem of the close distance to the roof below, it will be a tight squeeze to fit them in, but we will get it done. R. D. has stopped by, back from vacation and will come back to work tomorrow. We can use an extra man.
Pat continues plugging away at the roof decking and it amazes me how fast he works and how much he accomplishes on a daily basis. By evening Pat has ½ of the south facing roof decking nailed in place. The exposed wood looks great below and the desired look of an old roof comes to life. He asks me if I am subcontracting the roof and yes is my reply. He is confident that we can order the metal ourselves and is happy to do the roof with a helper. I like the idea and it should save a boatload on labor by having him do it. It’s great having Pat around as a jack of all trades.
My very good friends, Jack and Lynn, arrived this afternoon and will be house and lot hunting in Rico. They currently live in Arizona and would love to live in Rico. We have a nice evening together and there is much discussion on Rico, building and real estate, as well as radio towers. Jack is an avid HAM radio operator and wants to construct a retractable antenna that stands 21 feet high and can extend to 60’. I suggest they meet with the town manager, Mike England, tomorrow about the possibilities. The acceptance of this could make it or break it for them moving to Rico.

Welcome to Rico Jack and Lynn and hopefully I can get your picture up soon! More pictures coming soon.

No comments: