Saturday, October 07, 2006

Oct 5th - Rain, Rain Go Away!!

It has started raining in the night and continues on and off all day. Pat has come by this morning to attach some plastic as there is a lot of rain coming in the next few days. I have had some business to take care of this morning and it isn't until afternoon that I bring the first stack of oak around to the alley. We have a temporary black tarp over the garage that serves as a a simple sheleter to run the table saw.

I've set up the saw on the floor so I can run 8' boards through the saw and use a large chunk of log to hold the end of the board. These boards are a combination of 1 x 6"s and 1 x 8''s and a full one inch thick of rough sawn oak. Oak has a tendency to warp and twist more than softer woods and there is a lot of work to prep the boards we need in order to get them straight and a consistent width. I start by clamping a straight edge to each board and using the worm drive saw. I cut one edge straight and then run the straightened edge along the table saw fence. It takes me the rest of the afternoon to rip down the stack of 1 x8"s and it looks like about 175 sq. ft. is ready to nail down.

Kjersten Tomer, my designer stops by today and is pleased with the progress. We have been discussing the height restrictions in Rico and the possibility of adding a partial loft in the area over the south end of the north bedroom.

No comments: