Saturday, September 16, 2006

Sept 15th - Unbelievably.....More Rain!!

Another rainy day in Rico. Mark and I meet at the lumber yard this morning.  It was windy in the night and one of the tarps has blown off, now more soaked and potentially moldy lumber. The banding will have to be removed and then the lumber restacked and stickered. It’s nearly impossible to keep things dry. Joe has offered to let me use the old trailer house to store some of things Mark has brought from Iowa. Mark is leaving today for Iowa and we spend the next couple of hours taking all the truck parts off my trailer and loading them onto his now empty trailer. Thank God for the material handler which saves our backs.

Mark takes off through the mountains, headed for Estes Park to visit a friend. Snow is in the forecast. When the clouds on the mountain clear there are tiny patches of white at the very top of Dolores Mountain.

Over at the house Mike the mason, is laying up the firebrick for the Rumford fireplace. Water has leaked in everwhere. I climb up on the ladder to the 2nd floor area we have tarped with plastic. To keep the plastic on, we’ve nailed down lumber to hold it in place. This creates a nice little swimming pool now holding a ½” of standing water. With the push broom, I move as much as I can by pushing it off the edge of the building.

It rains off and on all day, dries a little and then rains again. No one is working today and I figure it's time to reorganize the tools in the cabin. It takes me most of the afternoon and finally we have a little walking room. I decide to go down to the old trailer and attach a new hasp on the sliding glass door to the trailer so I can lock it. The latch for the hasp is running the wrong direction and I have to install another type. Using the same holes to attach it, I run the screws in with my drill, POWWW! The entire safety glass in the door frame explodes, my screw has hit the glass! What fun; I have to cut an old piece of plywood and screw it into place to cover the gaping hole. It’ been a fun day…


technorati tags:, , , ,

No comments: