Thursday, September 07, 2006

Sept 6th - Errands on a Rainy Day

We are working on the top of the log cabin now and deciding how the top log on the north side will be cut down. It’s been a pleasure working with Greenbay and I like how careful and efficient he is. We discuss it briefly to make sure we are on the same track and then mark and begin to cut the top curve off the top log at the correct height. While Greenbay makes the difficult cut on the wavy surface near the top of the log, I begin to make a list of the items I need to pick up in Cortez.

Joe and DD are now working at the back of the lot beginning to form the footings for the garage and upper master bedroom. Fabian and Dylan are moving the huge boulders we pulled out of the ground during excavation around to the street. They have cleared a wall of dirt away at the edge of the street and will construct a nice retaining wall to hold back the front yard. I’m sure it will look great.

Dennis has hooked a hose up to the meter pit and hands me a valve and wrenches to attach to the main water supply we have stubbed up in the crawl space. In a few minutes we put it to the test, bleed off the air and find there are no leaks.

At lunchtime, it starts to rain and Greenbay and I prepare to cover the log walls once again. As it turns out he won’t be back as the rain continues through the afternoon. In the meantime, I head for Cortez for a list of errands. The weather changes dramatically as you make the 50 mile drive from Rico to Cortez; generally there is a 30 degree difference between the two towns.

First stop, Belt Salvage and within minutes I have chosen the pieces of used rusty angle iron I need to make the beam brackets and also 2 larger pieces of iron I will be using as a strong ledger that will bolt to the concrete wall and hold up one end of the floor joists, which in turn will support a concrete slab overhead. It’s not a common thing to construct things this way, but remember we are working with unique materials in building this house.

Next I stop at Standard Plumbing. The manager is helpful in getting the proper material I need to start plumbing the water system. Next, a stop at Slavens Hardware to pick up some needed electrical supplies and some tools. I walk out of the store with a new worm drive Skil Saw, my other bit the big one last year and it’s time for a new one. I meet DD, who has driven down from Rico, to meet me at the Dodge Dealer. Some engine problems with my diesel truck as well as some power steering problems. Luckily the engine problems are covered under warranty. We will pick up the truck on Saturday morning. DD and I enjoy a nice ride home and we unload all the purchases of the day at the house…


technorati tags:, , , ,

Blogged with Flock

No comments: