Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Sept 19th - East Wall Is Up






An incredibly sunny warm day with a clear blue sky; it truly feels like summer.

Pat and I start the day by laying down the insulation blanket in the garage area. The 3’ wide rolls have an adhesive edge along one side so you can overlap them. This keeps the moisture out and the heat in once the slab is heated.

DD has been cutting rebar for us and then cuts all the steel for the two patios on the north and south side of the house. Once all the steel is tied in a grid for the garage floor, we begin rolling out the heating tubing which will be buried in the concrete. We have had to add lumber forms along the south side of the garage since we are pouring a slab over the bathroom and mechanical room. Once poured, we can actually begin constructing the log cabin structure that will become the garage.

Meanwhile, Greenbay and Joe are busy framing the south wall of the 2nd floor and by mid-afternoon the 5 of us are ready to stand the wall up. They also complete the framing for the east wall of the sun room. The south wall is a heavy sucker and nearly 30’ long but within a minute we have it up and nailed in place. I have taken some photos of the view from the windows.

Pat and DD have completed the forms for the patio. We are ready for concrete. We have had a long productive day and have 7 yards of concrete ordered for tomorrow morning.

A prototype of an invention I have created arrived last week and so tonite after work I have gone down to Tom Bennet’s shop to have him do some fabrication and modification on the project for me. Dylan also works for Tom who is one of the most talented metal fabricators I’ve seen. I hope my son, Jens, gets to visit his shop sometime and see some of his blacksmithing work in progress.

When I arrive home, Lynn tells me she has been watching the weather and after viewing it myself, I decide I should go cover things up, but only after one of Lynn's superb dinners. I appreciate so much all that she does for me, with taking care of me and doing so much of the paperwork…thanks Lynn.

The Weather Channel shows it will be raining all over Colorado tomorrow. I call Greenbay and he comes back down to the jobsite and after about an hour in the dark with only a light bulb we have it all covered, enough that we hope things won’t get too wet. It’s been a long day and I am beat.


technorati tags:, , , ,

No comments: