Saturday, September 09, 2006

Sept 8th - Another Soggy Day

It has been raining all night long and it’s a muddy mess all around the house. I woke up in the middle of the night wondering (and worrying) if we would really get the roof on before winter.

It's still raining this morning. Greenbay shows up for a bit to sweep the standing water off the warm board. Everyone in Rico has been saying that they haven’t seen it this wet in years; not much of a summer.

We have concrete ordered for 2:00 and I call to cancel as it is just pouring. When the company tells me that they can’t deliver any concrete until next Wednesday I reconsider. At 1 PM I call back and let them know to go ahead with the delivery. With the weather outlook, it may be no better and we can’t wait until next week.

Everyone leaves and I head for the crawl space to begin to install the horizontal pipe runs for the 3” pipes. I have it nearly completed and need a few more fittings to do so. It rains off and on and when it does rain, the water drips through the joints on the warm board. I have my trusty rubber gloves and respirator on to deal with toxic PVC glue.

A quick lunch break and I am back on the job. By 2:30 the concrete truck arrives and Pat, DD and I make the pour for the footing. We set the vertical steel in the wet concrete after finishing off the top of the footing. It continues to rain and now picks up again once we have completed the job. We hang a piece of plastic over the vertical rebar. Pat and DD leave for the afternoon after cleaning the concrete tools off.

I head for Fabian's (workshop) green room. Now comes the time to try out my Stihl brand portable cut-off saw. It works well; a little smokey, but since I am cutting from the outside in, it dissipates quickly. I have cut the old bridge beams and another I-beam to the correct length. By the end of the day the cantilevered walkway is cut to the correct size and ready to weld.

Tonight we celebrate Lynn’s birthday on the 12th a little early at the Rico Hotel. A superb dinner as usual. I couldn't resist having the swordfish again & Lynn had the beef short ribs. A bottle of vino & of course, apple pie with a candle, for dessert. The hotel will be closing for a couple months at the end of this month & we will miss having such a great place for dinner available to us. However, the hotel closing allows us the opportunity to rent the beautiful apartment upstairs here. We will be moving one month from today. It's much more spaceous than our current digs & we can't wait!!!


technorati tags:, , , , ,

No comments: