Monday, September 18, 2006

Sept 17th - Sunny Sunday for Work



Hagen adds more courses of block to the fireplace and the block is now 6’ high.

It’s really pretty cold this morning and when I arrive on the jobsite, my first job is to uncover the upper floor by removing the plastic cover we have used to cover the entire floor. Since it rained, there are a couple of small holes in the plastic that have leaked water to the wood below. I use some housewrap tape to repair the tiny holes, so when it rains again, we won’t get so much water below. There is frost and ice all over the plastic as well as under it as I carefully remove all the plastic.

Since it's still early and Sunday morning, I want to find something quiet to do inside the cabin. I go ahead and drill the holes I will need for attaching the mantle brackets I made yesterday. I want the sun coming over the mountain to quickly dry out any remaining moisture on the decking before I start nailing the warmboard down.

By 10 a.m. the wood is dry and I start nailing down the warmboard. Lynn offers to help and shows up a bit later to help me handle the heavy sheets. We have lunch at the Argentine Grill and I pick up a left hand sheet of warm board we need to complete the job. The job goes well and by end of the day the warmboard on the 2nd floor is complete.

Lynn has moved down to the old cabin and begins removing the old chinking. Barbara Walker, a local log chinker has called and said if we remove the old chinking, her price will be much better, so Lynn has tackled the job. After a couple hours, it's pretty obvious why the price would be so much better. It's a dusty, dirty, difficult job.

I use the material handler to bring the remaining warm board off the top deck and then move it down to the lumber yard. My return trip I pick up a load of beams and bring them up to the lot; we will need them for the framing on the 2nd floor. I bring all the tools down and once again cover the floor up with plastic. It’s been a long but productive day


technorati tags:, , ,

No comments: